Sunday, October 16, 2011

Do You Like To Travel Alone?

“A feeling of confidence and personal power comes from facing challenges and overcoming them.”
Earlier in the month I wrote about attending the “Take Action, Get Profits” workshop on Social Networking in Orlando.  It was a fantastic event, but one of the biggest things I gained from the trip was the empowered feeling I got from traveling alone.
New Friends - Debbie O'Grady, Annie Leiby, and Yvonne Jones
It had been about two years since I traveled alone by plane.   When I’m with my family….I just follow along like a puppy dog.  Wherever they go…I follow.  I don’t pay a lot of attention to where things are or signs, (except restroom signs.) I know they will get me there and I can spend my time people watching, gawking at the getups some people wear and checking out the restaurants in the airport, etc. 
When you travel alone, you have to pay attention.  You have to figure out where you are supposed to be, which gate, how to get there, where you get your luggage, how to maneuver it to the shuttle and the list goes on.  There is no one there to help you or tell you to just follow them.  You are on your own!

Jackie Baker originally from London

Although none of the tasks are hard, it gives you a sense of confidence and empowerment when you know you can manage and get where you are going on your own. 
I mentioned traveling alone to some of my friends and they said they would never, ever even consider doing it.  They also wouldn’t eat in a restaurant alone.  I happen to enjoy both!  I think every man and woman should take a solo trip every couple years.  Not with friends or other family members, but by themselves.   Aside from increasing your confidence in your own abilities, it gives you a new perspective on things.  It opens your eyes to new opportunities and possibilities. It also gives you a chance to enjoy your own company and the company of others you might not meet if you were with family.
The lovely pool I did NOT get to enjoy!  When we had time, it rained.
Although I enjoy traveling with my family on a routine basis, I look forward to the occasional solo trip.  How about you, when was the last time you traveled alone?  Do you get a confidence boost when you travel solo? Do you enjoy to traveling alone?  

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love to travel on my own! (I'm right there with you -following like a puppy- when I'm with family). I've gotten such a huge self esteem boost from driving to Canada to visit family by myself, that it's my 'mantra' whenever I'm scared to try something new ..... I tell myself that: " a person who can drive hundreds of miles on her own, can for sure do X". Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually enjoy traveling by myself! I like the freedom of doing it "my way." I'll be traveling to Houston next week by myself and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't travel so to speak so I can't really talk about that part.....but I know I have no trouble eating alone.....I like time with myself....I like the peace of being along....I like being with me even if others don't

    ReplyDelete