Thursday, October 13, 2011

Are You A Musician?

Are you a musician?   Do you sing or play an instrument? I used to sing in the school chorus, and with the Agape Singers and Players.   I used to play the piano, organ, clarinet, and tenor sax. 
Somehow when I graduated, I must have thought I graduated from having musical abilities as well.  I haven’t played the organ, clarinet or tenor sax since graduation day 30+ years ago.  I have on occasion played a song or two on the piano, but nothing to write home about.   I do occasionally sing with our church choir.  But that is about it as far as music goes.
I wonder why this is?   I know it is the same for many of my friends and family?   Why do we work so hard to learn a skill or cultivate a talent and then just walk away from it?  Has this ever happened to you?

2 comments:

  1. It's kind of hard to apply it to your grown up life unless you're extremely talented. Being just pretty good at something doesn't cause people to be knocking down your door begging you to perform so your grown up practical self says "What's the point" and gives up.
    ~Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was thinking more like, just continuing with your talents for self enjoyment. Playing the piano for fun, singing at church or with a community chorus.

    ReplyDelete